The gamers mainly use Discord for voice chat, but due to its popularity, it is also common in everyday tech users and non-gamers. Discord is primarily used for voice chat and messaging; you might experience the Discord audio issue while using it. This means you can’t hear anyone on Discord, and the end-users to whom you want to deliver the message can’t hear you.
If you can’t hear one person or anything, then don’t worry as it is a common problem in Discord, and if you are chatting in a group, sometimes you might hear someone in the group, or sometimes you may not be able to hear from anyone. Discord will give you a green tick, which means there is no issue from the sender’s end. So what is the nature and origin of this error?
Why can’t I hear anything on Discord?
Mostly, you face this issue when there are some misconfigured changes to the audio settings of your device. This misconfiguration might be caused due to the changes in an internal app or sometimes due to the automatic Discord updates, which you might have missed the notice. Either the case, the Discord can’t hear anyone problem can be diagnosed and fixed just with a few steps.
Fixed – Discord Can’t Hear One Person/People/Anything.
Follow the step-by-step guides from the below-given section until your problem is fixed.
Refresh Discord to Remove Latest Updates if You can’t Hear People
Refresh to fix can’t hear discord issue. The first thing you should do whenever you can’t hear one person or can’t hear people in Discord; then it might be due to the compatibility issue of the new update. In most software and applications, it is always recommended to restart the system to implement the changes fully.
In Discord, updates are happenings regularly. Sometimes the update might have raised the issue of volume. Refreshing the Discord will overlook the new update and give an older version of the app. In this way, you will get the idea of where Discord has the problem.
Turn on Use Legacy Audio Subsystem
In some cases, the latest update may not be fully compatible with your system voice and audio settings. We have to fix the legacy audio system that causes the Discord can’t hear the issue in the first attempt.
You have to open the “Use Legacy Audio Subsystem” and fix the issue in this step. To do so, follow;
- Open Discord and click on the gear icon (settings)
- Click on “Voice & Video” from the left sidebar menu and scroll down to find the “Use Legacy Audio Subsystem” option.
- Turn on the button (make it blue)
- Click “OK” on the dialog box saying “Change Audio subsystem.”
- Click on the Esc button to close and save the settings.
- Check for the audio issues; this will resolve the problem in most cases.
Can’t Hear anyone on Discord? Try Volume Mixer
The built-in app of Windows volume helps you play with the volume controller and set it based on your demands. With the help of a Windows volume mixer, you can increase or decrease the volume, pitch of the sound coming from any app.
In case you can’t hear on Discord, this solution is not 100% effective, but you can check the volume of your system through this method.
- On Windows 10, search for “Volume Mixer by typing in the search box
- You will see all the applications that use the sound system
- Search for Discord and increase its volume
- Save the changes
- Test if the volume of voice is now increased
If the above solution is not helping you, then have a look at the next proposed solution.
Set Audio Device as Default Communication Device
This solution is not practical for most users, but if you follow it, you might get your issue resolved. In this method, all you need is to set up your audio device to the default communication device.
You can follow the below given steps to make your audio device the default communication method.
- Open Discord
- Right-click on the sound icon
- Select Playback devices
- Please search for the audio device and then right-click on it.
- Choose “Set as Default Device.”
- Click again on the audio device and select “Set as Default Communication Device” Click on “Apply” and then click on “OK.”
Select the Proper Input and Output
Follow the given steps to check for the proper sound output and input device when you can’t hear someone on Discord.
- Open Discord
- Click on the gear icon (user settings)
- Click on “Audio & Video”
- Input and output devices are set to “Default” by default; ensure the correct and proper input and the output device is selected.
- Save the changes and press the Esc button to close the settings app.
Change the Server Default Region
If any of the above solutions are not working for you, you can change the server end. Changing the server region will help you to resolve the issue. To make server region changes, follow the below given steps.
- Click on the server to open its settings.
- Click on “Overview” now select “Server Region” from the dropdown list
- Change the region and click on “Save Changes.”
If you can’t hear friends on Discord or people can’t hear you in a group chat, then the above solutions are enough to figure out the problem and fix it within a couple of minutes.
The above solutions also help you understand why people can’t hear anyone in Discord and the possible reasons. As a bonus option in this guide, you can use the web app if you want to go smoothly with Discord quickly.
If anything from the above solutions is not working for you and you still can’t hear someone on Discord, you should try the web version of Discord. The purpose of the web version is that if the issue is in the app, you will not face it in the web version. To open Discord on the web, open a browser and enter the URL discordapp.com.