Kodi is an open-source online streaming application that is meeting current day needs of all the users who are craving for a distortion-free online streaming of live sports, movies, TV serials, and shows, etc. this application offers an amazing alternative to streaming live music, videos and images right on a personal computer, Macbook, in addition to watching live videos.
Kodi application is by default installed on many devices, but the users face a common problem and that is about buffering. It becomes quite irritating when they play movies in their past time and it stuck after every minute or two.
The online streamers love to enjoy uninterrupted videos, and buffering is the only disappointing factor for them. This article will show you how to fix buffering on Kodi. You might have experienced the same in the past, but with the advancement in technology and the creation of the add-ons has allowed the users to remove the time-consuming process of buffering while watching videos. The following are some of the ways that can help you to stop or fix the buffering issues.
Click here to find a blog on increasing the cache size of Kodi.
If the bufferening issues are constant for few times, you can go for IPVanish VPN that will help you to freely watch Kodi content in a full secure and private enviroment.
Slow Connection – Test your Internet Speed
To initiate the Kodi buffering fixes, you may need to look into the settings of your Kodi application. But, before going straightaway to the settings option, try testing your internet speed first. Most of the people hardly get a desirable download speed as it depends on shared and dedicated connections as well.
In general, to watch a live video without any distortion, a 5 to 10 Mbps internet speed has to be managed by your service provider. An internet connection slower than this mark will result in buffering regardless of the application and add-ons you have on your device.
Most of the video streaming websites are well optimized for a slow internet connection that allows users to continue watching their favorite movies or sports without any difficulty. For example, Netflix and YouTube are well programmed for poor connections. But, when it comes to the overall video resources, the user needs to maintain a reliable and fast speed internet connection.
How to Test Speed for Fixing Kodi Buffering
To have a clear idea of the internet speed you are getting at the moment, try to test it with the online tool such as speedcheck.org. Log on to your browser, enter www.speedtest.net and have the mobile app according to the device you own. Download and install the app, and open it on the same connection that you use for watching live videos.
Now, run the test and observe the ping rate, download and upload speed. In terms of streaming, you need to be highly concerned about the download speed and ping rate. If the ping is higher than your expectation then you are likely to face buffering issues.
Users with slower Internet connections are recommended to fix the issue with their service provider and ask if it can easily be fixed. Mostly, there is an issue in the area because of its obsolete wiring and connections. Whereas, if you are getting fine quality speed, then proceed with other methods to fix buffering issues.
Secure a Seat Closer to the Area Where You Installed the Router
If the internet speed is fast and reliable, you need to look into the distance of your device from the router. This is achieved by two methods as it depends on the type of connectivity. If your Kodi box is accessing the internet through Wi-Fi signals, you can try fixing Kodi buffering issues by taking the media streamer a bit closer to the router.
It will enhance the signal strength and result in the smooth streaming of videos. The second method is to try connecting the Kodi device through an Ethernet cable. In comparison to the Wi-Fi signals, the cable is considered a safer and reliable connection for watching non-stop videos online
Trying these two methods depends on the media streamer device. Most of the devices have built-in ports for Ethernet connectivity, whereas others are compelled to connect through Wi-Fi only. In such a situation, you can try tweaking the settings for resolving buffering issues on Kodi.
Most Common Kodi Buffering Cause is the Video Cache
There are plenty of other reasons which may cause the buffering issues on Kodi but the most common one is the Video cache. You may face difficulties in streaming if the Video cache on your system is too small or if you have too many applications opened at a time. This issue can be fixed by considering the following elements.
- You can use a wizard for fixing the video cache issues. There are addons available for the same such as Ares Wizard
- You can clear Ares Wizard to clear existing files on Cache
- After cleaning the cache, test the updated system by playing a video
- You can play with the cache by clearing it and adjusting it until the buffering issues go
- Check other system settings if the buffering is still there
Modify Video Cache in Kodi to Stop buffering issues
Once you ensure owning a reliable and fast internet connection, you need to move on to modifying the video cache and other settings in the Kodi application is still struggling with buffering.
Tweaking the Kodi software for its video cache is one of the effective alternatives of how to fix Kodi buffering issues. Following is easy to use method for configuring settings for a distortion-free video streaming.
- Open Kodi application, click settings and navigate to ‘File Manager’
- Click ‘Add New Source’ and a popup window will appear. Type http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/ in the field
- Customize the source with an easy to remember the name and hit Ok
- Return back to the Settings tab and navigate to the Add-ons section
- Click ‘Install from Zip file’ and now select the source you have added with a custom name
- Now click repository.aresproject and move to repository.aresproject.zip
- Install Ares Project repository and it will enable within a few seconds
- Move back to the Add-ons section and choose ‘Install from repository’
- Click Ares Project, enter the program add-ons, select Ares Wizard and click ‘Install’
- Wait until the application is installed. It will notify upon completion.
- Go to the main menu, and enter the Add-ons section. Click Program add–ons and then Ares Wizard. This will instantly download files and proceed to install automatically.
- In the Ares Wizard, click Tweaks and move to the advanced settings wizard and hit next. It will prompt you about the RAM available on your device. Note down the amount of RAM available and click ‘Generate‘
- Define the size of video cache to one-half of the amount of RAM available you have noted down in the previous step. And, do not alter the rest of the settings.
- Click ‘Apply Settings’ and reboot Kodi.
Our Verdict on Kodi Buffering Issues Fixes
By following the above method step by step without committing any mistake, you can successfully fix the buffering issues. It may be a complex method for a newbie, but the improvement in streaming really worth the efforts.